TruFlex canola with Roundup Ready Technology
TruFlex canola is Bayer’s second-generation weed control trait offering farmers greater flexibility through an extended glyphosate application window up to first flower and an opportunity to apply Roundup Ready Herbicides at higher rates for enhanced weed control.
In susceptible plants (non-Roundup Ready canola plants) glyphosate, the active ingredient in Roundup blocks the production of the EPSPS enzyme which is essential for the production of amino acids that are the building blocks for proteins in the plant. As a result the plant dies.
Bayer has utilised gene technology to insert a gene into the TruFlex genome, making plants tolerant to applications of glyphosate. The CP4 gene produces a separate enzyme which enables amino acid production to continue even in the presence of glyphosate.
TruFlex canola builds on the Roundup Ready technology, containing the same CP4 EPSPS gene as Roundup Ready canola but gene expression is enhanced by the addition of a new promoter sequence.
Download the TruFlex canola and Roundup Ready canola Product Guide here.
The benefits of TruFlex canola
TruFlex canola is Bayer’s second-generation weed control trait. New advances in trait technology will help enable better weed control and crop safety compared to Roundup Ready canola. It's a combination that could result in higher yield potential at harvest time.
Extended application window
TruFlex canola gives you weed control flexibility. The window of application for Roundup Ready Herbicides* will extend past the six-leaf stage to first flower, providing farmers the flexibility to manage weather, time and weed challenges.
The rates farmers need to get results
Increased flexibility in application rates allows farmers to target problem weed species at the right rate (always follow label instructions).
Backed by the Roundup Advantage
Roundup Ready traits and the Roundup Ready Herbicide range are a system designed to work together. The leading formulations contain PLANTSHIELD technology and are the only formulations covered by the Bayer warranty.
The unmatched combination provides you with tools you need to effectively control weeds in your canola field.
2020 TruFlex canola varieties
Bayer partner with leading canola seed companies to ensure TruFlex canola is available in high-performing varieties. Please contact seed companies directly for variety-specific inquiries.
2019 TruFlex canola technology fee
In the 2020 season, there’s one simple technology fee for TruFlex and Roundup Ready canola traits, which is $8.90 (ex. GST) per kilogram. The fee will be invoiced to farmers by their Technology Service Provider (TSP) at the point of purchase. In 2020, all TruFlex canola and Roundup Ready canola technology fees are now eligible for Bayer's DecilePro program, which helps farmers to manage low growing season rainfall.
Key features of the DecilePro program include:
- DecilePro is available to anyone who purchases TruFlex canola and/or Roundup Ready canola, there is no additional cost to participate in the program.
- DecilePro helps farmers manage the risk of low growing season rainfall by providing a credit to growers who receive a decile 2 rainfall amount or below, equivalent to 30% of the technology fee and redeemable on a wide range of Bayer products.
- DecilePro is specific to every farm – by entering a GPS point, farmers can rest assured that the rain they receive is used to calculate their unique decile. Rainfall deciles are calculated by taking the observed rainfall record at a location and sorting the rainfall amounts into ten equal parts. Decile 1 would be the years with the lowest rainfall on record and decile 10 would be the years with the highest rainfall on record. This means that the DecilePro program will be different for each grower.
To participate in the 2020 DecilePro program:
- Farmers will need to provide their specific field(s) GPS point(s) to their Technology Service Provider by 15 April 2020.
- Growing season rainfall will be measured between 1 May and 30 September, 2020.
- If farmers receive a decile 2 or below rainfall, they will receive a 30% credit to be used for eligible Bayer products.
Plus, if the TruFlex or Roundup Ready canola crop needs to be replanted, Bayer will waive the technology fee on the seed purchased for replanting*. Farmers should contact their local TSP for more information. A list of TSPs can be found here.
*Subject to verification. Applies to Roundup Ready Canola varieties only, when replant occurs in the same growing season. It is each farmers responsibility to notify their TSP that seed is for replant in order to avoid paying the technology fee twice.
The DecilePro program is valid for technology fee only and does not include seed cost or any other input costs. Please see full terms and conditions for further information.